The night and flash photographer's best friend!
As an avid night photographer who enjoys all types of light painting and colored flash photography, I searched long and hard for the perfect solution to holding gel filters in front of my flash and flashlights. When I realized that such a product didn't exist, I designed it myself!
The GelGrip™ is made to hold gel filters for altering the color of the light coming from a camera flash or flashlight. It is the perfect size for holding Rosco gel swatches, but any type of gel filter and many types of colored plastic will fit. The GelGrip™ is designed to fit Nikon, Canon, Vivitar, Sony, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, and most other brands of hot-shoe flashes. In addition, the clever design allows you to attach the GelGrip easily to a flashlight/torch for use in light painting.
The GelGrip™ comes complete with everything you need to attach to a flash or flashlight. It includes hook and loop fasteners for the traditional method and a unique shock-cord system for flash attachment that doesn't require affixing anything permanent to the flash.
Among the features of the GelGrip™:
- Accepts all types and brands of gel filters.
- Slight lip serves as a guide to allow quick insertion of filter.
- Securely holds one or more gels without slipping.
- Designed so that Rosco gel swatches purposely extend slightly from each end of holder, allowing easy insertion and removal without affecting performance.
- Tough, crystal-clear acrylic allows full light transmission without imparting an unwanted color cast.
- Optimum dimensions and thickness for ideal performance without unnecessary bulk and weight.
- Includes detailed instruction sheet.
- Includes all fasteners needed for one standard camera flash and one standard flashlight/torch.
- Designed for mounting on the top or bottom of the flash head, so it works effectively with the Nikon SB 900 and SB910 and the Canon 580EXII and 430EXII.
We recommend that you use Roscolux gel swatches in the GelGrip™. A swatchbook containing a huge assortment of colors is available from the Rosco website at rosco.com. The swatchbook is "free", but you have to pay $7.50 for shipping and handling. Another option is ordering the swatchbook from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) or Adorama (adorama.com), where, interestingly, you will pay a lot less than from the Rosco site. For still photographers using gels to alter the color of the light, there is no appreciable difference between Rosco's Roscolux filters and their Cinegel or other lines. So get the Roscolux swatchbook, which contains every color imaginable.
Compatibility note: Roscolux gel swatches measure 1½ x 3¼ inches, which is large enough to cover the flash heads of most DSLR flashes, including the Nikon SB 900 and SB910 and the Canon 580EXII and 430EXII. However, when you use the GelGrip™ with these particular flash units, you must mount it to the bottom of the flash head. The Canon flashes have a small protrusion on the top surface of the flash head and the Nikon flashes have a small space between the top and the output portion of the flash head. The GelGrip™ is designed to work when mounted to either the top or bottom of the flash heads, so it will work fine on these flash units. If the output head of your flash is much larger than 1½ x 3¼ inches, the GelGrip™ will not work effectively. However, it will still work fine on a flashlight/torch.